How to Safely Jump Start a Car Without Many Fancy Tools
Cars can be started in more ways than one. When your battery isn’t working properly and you can’t get your vehicle started through the regular means, it’s important to have a couple of jumper cables on you and to attempt a jump start, if possible. The following steps will be required:
- First have a friend or family member drive to your location (if you got stuck somewhere with your car) and bring along the jumper cables, as long as you don’t have them.
- Put both vehicles in park mode, facing each other, then turn off the ignition in both cars.
- Attach a red clip to the positive terminal of your battery (it should have the marking “pos” or “+” on it. The other red clip should go to the other car’s positive terminal.
- Do the same for the first black clip by attaching it to the negative terminal of your battery, then attach the other black clip to a piece of unpainted metal on your car, as far away from the battery as possible.
- Finally, you can start the other car and let it run for a while, then try to start your own vehicle. If your battery isn’t completely dead and if you followed all the steps here faithfully, you should have no problem whatsoever in jump starting your car. You can find this type of vehicle training at MasterDrive in Orange County and more maintenance classes too.